Drogarati Cave


drogkarati

Drogarati cave is one of the greatest and most beautiful natural sights in the region around Sami and in the whole of Kefalonia. It is located at a short distance from the Lake Cavern of Melissani, making it belong to the same geographical area. It was discovered about 300 years ago when, during a strong earthquake one of its sections collapsed and uncovered what is now the entrance to the cave.

Its depth is around 60 meters with an average temperature of 18o C and a fairly high amount of humidity (90%), as is the case in all caves.

According to archeologists, Drogarati’s age is over 100 million years. The part which is now free to access is only one part of the total, while it is likely that the cave communicates with other caves or cave formations in the area. There are many stalactites and stalagmites formed by water which, in its path, erodes the components of the rock and deposits them at the stalagmite’s edge.

Every 100 years,  it is estimated that its size increases by 1cm. Earthquakes as well as human action has contributed to many of them being cut. Nevertheless, the picture of the entrance of the cave is magnificent.

Drogarati cave is open to the public all year round and in the past, several events were held in the 900 square meters hall in its entrance, due to its great acoustics. It is one of the few caves which has allowed for intense lighting in order to enable the visitor to admire nature’s grandeur.


爱奥尼亚远景别墅

探索观光,海滩,了解关于凯法利尼亚和岛屿的“必须看到”的一切,在下面的类别。



查看凯法利尼亚岛和爱奥尼亚别墅的更多精彩照片。

Napier’s garden


napier

One of the most beautiful spots in the town of Argostoli is Napier’s park. It is a part in the city full of trees which is elevated and surrounded by walls of traditional Kefalonian type.

In the park, there are pebble-lined aisles all around and in its centre and even though it is considered a small park, one can find a wide variety of trees.

What makes Napier’s park mostly known today is the memorial which one can find in it. The name Napier is in honor of the British administrator who, in the 19th century was responsible for many of the infrastructure works, which still exist today, serving the needs of the area.

After a long period of abandonment, today the park has been completely restored and thus regained quite a big part of its former glory, enabling long walks as well as the picturesque entertainment centre which was in it before the earthquake. After the extension of the walls and the pebbled aisles in the whole area, the bright lighting and the construction of the old entertainment centre, Napier’s garden has become quite an astonishing contemporary park.

It is also a place available for outdoor entertainment purposes where residents of Argostoli and generally everyone can gather during night and day.


爱奥尼亚远景别墅

探索观光,海滩,了解关于凯法利尼亚和岛屿的“必须看到”的一切,在下面的类别。



查看凯法利尼亚岛和爱奥尼亚别墅的更多精彩照片。

Saint Gerasimo’s Cave in Lassi


agios_gerasimos

The Cave is located in the area of Argostoli called Lassi. Saint Gerasimos led an ascetic life when he came from Zakynthos to Kefalonia in 1555 and stayed here for 5 years. In 1560, he went to Omala, where his monastery is today.

In the northern side of the Cave, there is a natural hole of approximately 30x30cm, which provides natural lighting and a view to the sea.

Today, the Cave has been embodied into a small chapel, which constitutes one of the buildings of a small male hermitage, branch of the Holy Monastery of St.Gerasimo’s Omalon.


爱奥尼亚远景别墅

探索观光,海滩,了解关于凯法利尼亚和岛屿的“必须看到”的一切,在下面的类别。



查看凯法利尼亚岛和爱奥尼亚别墅的更多精彩照片。

The Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi


fanari

One of the most famous sights in the area of Argostoli, and more specifically of the so-called round of Lassis, is the Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi. It was named after the little church which is located very close to it. The whole area has been named after the lighthouse which, for reasons of simplicity and briefness, is called Fanari.

It is a traditional lighthouse used for the approaching to the shore ships, so as to avoid rocks. Built in 1829, during the British Rule, like many of the traditional landmarks which characterize the island (see also Dervosetos Bridge), it is a work of J.P. Kennedy. It stands out as a circular Doric building, similar to which there is none in the whole island.

Like everything else in Argostoli, as in the whole of Kefalonia, it was destroyed during the earthquake of August 1953. It was reconstructed immediately after, unfortunately with only few other masterpieces of the pre-earthquake era. Works of renovation have recently taken place, in order to save the lighthouse from the extended corrosion caused by sea water.


爱奥尼亚远景别墅

探索观光,海滩,了解关于凯法利尼亚和岛屿的“必须看到”的一切,在下面的类别。



查看凯法利尼亚岛和爱奥尼亚别墅的更多精彩照片。